Mindanao journalists are more exposed to traumatic experiences. That’s given. Try enumerating the war fights in the region. The most fatal calamities that hit this part of the island in the past few years. The extra-judicial killings. Then add the almost ordinary accidents, the inhumane treatment of the powerful few. The list is endless if we are to pen point the events, traumatic events, being covered by journalists for our audiences’s daily consumption.
Today, I learned how fellow journalists were traumatized by the disasters especially when Typhoon “Sendong” hit Cagayan De Oro and Iligan in December 2011, and how they are slowly coping with the floodings. During calamities such as this, they are not only journalists who cover events, they themselves are victims of disasters.
Speaking of Mindanao, who could separate “Ampatuan Massacre” with Mindanao? Yes, that mass killing on a broad daylight, which caused lives of 58 individuals, 32 of whom were journalists.
But how to address trauma?
Paraan said, “talk to someone who understands.” And those who understand journalists more, aside from their mothers, are journalists themselves.
Sophie Garduce, a psychologist handling trauma of journalists told participants coping mechanisms have to be in place to enable journalists to prepare themselves in any unfortunate eventuality. But first, she said, “Do no harm.”
With this seminar on trauma and journalism, journalists see a ray of hope for them who are exposed to trauma.
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
August 30, 2013
July 16, 2012
February 29, 2012
January 15, 2012
- Paolo Bediones Sex Video Scandal Hits The Web July 27, 2014
- Cinemalaya 2014: Movie Entries, Synopsis, Schedule July 24, 2014
- Should you visit Boracay this rainy season July 21, 2014
- Fifth to be evicted from PBB: All-In after coming out as gay? July 20, 2014
- Nigeria’s Miss Sahhara is Eat Bulaga’s Super Sireyna Worldwide 2014 Winner July 19, 2014
- ‘Foosball’ Teaser Trailer Released July 16, 2014
- Black Butler: Best-selling Manga Series Now a Movie; Opens July 23 in SM Cinemas July 16, 2014
- Ballet Philippines’ 45th anniv kicks off with ‘La Revolucion Filipina’ July 16, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S Released in PH July 11, 2014
- Ferring Pharmaceuticals Now in PH July 8, 2014