Miss Universe 2011 Third Runner-Up Shamcey Supsup will be this year’s Miss Universe segment host or pre-pageant presenter.
The Miss Universe Organization invited Shamcey to host segments in the annual pageant, says Philippine National Director Stella Marquez de Araneta during the send-off party of Miss Universe Philippines 2012 Janine Marie Tugunon tonight.
The Miss Universe 2012 pageant will be held on December 19 at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
As a segment host, Shamcey will be interviewing Miss Universe 2012 delegates prior to the finals and cover pre-pageant events. Clips of those will be shown at the coronation night.
Supsup represented the Philippines last year where she ranked fourth to Miss Angola’s Laila Lopes who was crowned Miss Universe 2011.
Shamcey hosting the pre-pageant is a great news for Filipinos who strongly support Philippine representatives to Miss Universe. This is also seen as a great morale booster for this year’s Philippines’ bet, 23-year-old Janine Tugonon, Shamcey’s close friend and to whom she serves as a mentor.
[Update Dec. 16, 2012] Here’s a video of Shamcey’s hosting stint in Miss U search. She is seen interviewing the candidates backstage during the National Costume competition:
Filipinos in Miss Universe Pageant
Last year, it was Filipino international theater actress-singer Lea Salonga who was invited at the Miss Universe pageant but as one of the judges.
Filipinos started to create noise in the annual Miss Universe pageant when Maria Venus Raj became an international news maker (more famous than the winner actually) due to her ‘Major Major” answer in 2010 where she placed fourth runner-up. Many pageant fanatics believed Venus should have won the Miss Universe 2010 crown.
Last year, fanatics believed Shamcey also deserved to win as other contestants, including Angola’s Leila Lopes was just lagging behind in various categories such as in gown and swimsuit competitions, but Shamcey’s ‘Christian’ answer failed to impress the judges.
This year, Filipinos give all out support for Janine on her quest for the third Miss Universe crown for the Philippines. The Philippines’ two Miss Universe winners are Gloria Diaz (1969) and Margie Moran (1973).
Is 30 years enough for the Philippines to win again? What do you think awaits Janine Tugonon in Miss Universe 2012 search? Is she beautiful and witty enough to win the crown? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
For now, you can help our representative secure a spot in the semi-finals. Vote for Janine Mari Tugonon here. Olala!
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
December 18, 2012
December 18, 2012
December 17, 2012
Follow Us On Instagram
- Misters of the Philippines 2014 Winners September 8, 2014
- Janine, Elmo to grace GMA Network’s prime time with ‘More Than Words’ September 5, 2014
- Canon releases new portable projectors to meet growing demand September 3, 2014
- Top 12 Contenders for Misters of the Philippines 2014 September 3, 2014
- A dream-come-true for 5 lucky basketball fans September 3, 2014
- ‘SHREK The Musical’ to come to Manila this September September 2, 2014
- The Naked Truth: How to score a ticket to the Bench Fashion Show 2014 August 19, 2014
- Dutertes slap Ramon Bautista with a call for ‘Persona Non Grata’ over ‘Hipon’ comment August 17, 2014
- Dennis Trillo challenged to do extreme sports, life-threatening stunts in a new TV series? August 15, 2014
- Win Globe Prepaid Load With Kadayawan 2014 Photo Contest August 15, 2014