“Sebastian Castro, who?”
You may ask.
In the YouTube video, he said, “I just came out of the closet on all my social media. I am gay. I am proud to be gay. I am proud to be one of you.”
The 22-year-old model was one of the 69 hunks featured at the controversial Cosmo Bash last year.
Should it be true, his coming out is a brave act especially in the Philippines where most men showbiz personalities wouldn’t dare to do for it’s tantamount to career suicide.
But I see the act aside from being ‘over-dramatic’ as Dale puts it, more of a publicity stunt. Well, Sebastian was able to get some attention for quite a few hours on Twitter as he’s been a trending topic tonight. And with bloggers and the local media picking it up, there’ll definitely be more of Sebastian in the next few hours, or maybe days.
I am more interested of what would it benefit his career and the fans in the future.
Well, if he could advocate for some gay rights or causes that involve the LGBT community, the better. That’s even better than being a talk of the town in social media for a few
hours days weeks.
It would be of greater impact though if his act could encourage known Filipino rumored gay personalities, the likes of Piolo Pascual and Enchong Dee to come out as well. Uhm, no, am not saying they’re confirmed gays. Unless they say it, let’s believe it as is.
UPDATE: I actually the got the chance to meet and talk with Sebastian (or Seb). He has been involved in a lot of projects for the welfare not only of the gay community but the public in general. You can find here more articles about him as he promotes safe sex and campaigns against the spread of HIV.
Or is coming out necessary?
I would like to think that coming out is no longer a big deal for Filipinos especially these days when almost everyone is gay. And those who still think that being gay is unacceptable are only the closet gays themselves or are just plain stupid.
Hey, it’s 2013!
Update: We featured Sebastian Castro and Enchong Dee on another post. Head on to this link to see their awesome photos.
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
November 28, 2013
October 3, 2013
Follow Us On Instagram
- The Naked Truth: How to score a ticket to the Bench Fashion Show 2014 August 19, 2014
- Dutertes slap Ramon Bautista with a call for ‘Persona Non Grata’ over ‘Hipon’ comment August 17, 2014
- Dennis Trillo challenged to do extreme sports, life-threatening stunts in a new TV series? August 15, 2014
- Win Globe Prepaid Load With Kadayawan 2014 Photo Contest August 15, 2014
- Globe brings products, services to ‘Kadayawan’ August 14, 2014
- Kadayawan Festival 2014 Schedule of Activities August 13, 2014
- Davao’s Kadayawan Festival 2014 Kicks Off August 13, 2014
- Anne Curtis, Cristine Reyes Clash Over Sam Milby In ‘The Gifted’ Movie August 13, 2014
- Robin Williams, 63, Dies In Apparent Suicide August 12, 2014
- Cinemalaya 2014 Winners: Kasal, Bwaya Win Best Films August 10, 2014