Multi-award winning theater group, Philippine Stagers Foundation (PSF) opens its new season with a ‘very emotional musical’ about the life and death of Filipino hero, Andres Bonifacio.
PSF stages “Bonifacio: Isang Sarsuwela” in commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Bonifacio who was born on November 30, 1863, says PSF President, Director Atty. Vincent Tañada during the press conference held on June 7 at their studio in Sampaloc, Manila.
Fresh from the success of its recent longest-running musical, “Joe: The Filipino Rocksical” that highlighted the life of the Philippine National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, PSF is set to open ‘Bonifacio’ on Friday, July 19 at Tanghalang Pasigueño.
But unlike their previous plays, ”All parts here are emotional,” says Tañada who also plays the role of Bonifacio.
The director also admitted curriculum plays like Bonifacio is quite boring but with the kind of music they mixed with the story of such a historical figure, it becomes more appealing to the audience, especially the students. Music is under the direction of stage and TV musical director Pipo Cifra.
This Sarsuwela tackles on various aspects of Bonifacio’s life. It dares to expose the fact that the hero was a victim not of the foreigners but of his fellow Filipinos, Tañada said. For Bonifacio’s story, it was “Filipinos versus Filipinos. It was about the rivalry between the rich and the poor,” he added.
Though it doesn’t aim to malign Emilio Aguinaldo, who was believed to have ordered the killing of Bonifacio, Tañada explained their take on the latter’s story is different as it is a product of his own mind and of extensive research done by his team.
However, he is open to criticisms and is ready for negative feedback, especially from Aguinaldo’s camp, Tañada said. In fact, their offers have already been declined in various schools in Cavite, Aguinaldo’s home province.
“Ganun lang naman ‘yun eh. Alangan namang hindi ko ituloy ang play because they don’t want it,” the actor-director added.
Aside from Tañada, the musical also features homegrown talents JM Encinas who will play alternates as Bonifacio, Cindy Liper as Gregoria de Jesus, Jordan Ladra/Kevin Posadas as Emilio Aguinaldo, Monique Azerreda/Adelle Ibarrientos-Lim as Hilaria Aguinaldo and Patrick Adrian Libao as Emilio Jacinto.
Among the successful plays that PSF has staged in the recent years include ‘Ako si Ninoy’, ‘Cory ng EDSA’, and ‘Ang Bangkay’.
Interested in bringing ‘Bonifacio: Isang Sarsuwela’ to your school or community? Feel free to contact PSF at 0927-391-3447.
Incoming search terms:
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela summary
- summary of bonifacio isang sarsuwela
- sarsuwela ni bonifacio
- sarswela ni bonifacio
- bonifacio sarswela
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela reaction paper
- bonifacio isang sarswela
- bonifacio: isang sarswela
- bonifacio sarsuwela
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for MacMall.com, one of the top Apple resellers in the US. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as Web Manager of the Philippine Press Institute.
September 16, 2012
- World’s Toughest Job: This Video Will Make You Cry April 16, 2014
- Menarini launches ‘Commit to Control PE’ advocacy for couples April 15, 2014
- To Dine Is To Love: A Return To Mesa-Clark April 13, 2014
- Manny Pacquiao gives Timothy Bradley his first loss April 13, 2014
- Chase the Sun with Wrangler & win an ultimate adventure April 12, 2014
- Marian Rivera’s Carmela Extended For 3 Weeks April 4, 2014
- Anne Curtis Hospitalized Due To Box Jellyfish Attack April 4, 2014
- Gilas Pilipinas vs PBA All Star selection highlights the PBA All Star Week on TV5 and AksyonTV April 4, 2014
- Ellen Adarna Goes Nude for Esquire Magazine April 4, 2014
- Accept Card Payments Thru Your Phone With Globe Charge April 3, 2014