Multi-award winning theater group, Philippine Stagers Foundation (PSF) opens its new season with a ‘very emotional musical’ about the life and death of Filipino hero, Andres Bonifacio.
PSF stages “Bonifacio: Isang Sarsuwela” in commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Bonifacio who was born on November 30, 1863, says PSF President, Director Atty. Vincent Tañada during the press conference held on June 7 at their studio in Sampaloc, Manila.
Fresh from the success of its recent longest-running musical, “Joe: The Filipino Rocksical” that highlighted the life of the Philippine National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, PSF is set to open ‘Bonifacio’ on Friday, July 19 at Tanghalang Pasigueño.
But unlike their previous plays, ”All parts here are emotional,” says Tañada who also plays the role of Bonifacio.
The director also admitted curriculum plays like Bonifacio is quite boring but with the kind of music they mixed with the story of such a historical figure, it becomes more appealing to the audience, especially the students. Music is under the direction of stage and TV musical director Pipo Cifra.
This Sarsuwela tackles on various aspects of Bonifacio’s life. It dares to expose the fact that the hero was a victim not of the foreigners but of his fellow Filipinos, Tañada said. For Bonifacio’s story, it was “Filipinos versus Filipinos. It was about the rivalry between the rich and the poor,” he added.
Though it doesn’t aim to malign Emilio Aguinaldo, who was believed to have ordered the killing of Bonifacio, Tañada explained their take on the latter’s story is different as it is a product of his own mind and of extensive research done by his team.
However, he is open to criticisms and is ready for negative feedback, especially from Aguinaldo’s camp, Tañada said. In fact, their offers have already been declined in various schools in Cavite, Aguinaldo’s home province.
“Ganun lang naman ‘yun eh. Alangan namang hindi ko ituloy ang play because they don’t want it,” the actor-director added.
Aside from Tañada, the musical also features homegrown talents JM Encinas who will play alternates as Bonifacio, Cindy Liper as Gregoria de Jesus, Jordan Ladra/Kevin Posadas as Emilio Aguinaldo, Monique Azerreda/Adelle Ibarrientos-Lim as Hilaria Aguinaldo and Patrick Adrian Libao as Emilio Jacinto.
Among the successful plays that PSF has staged in the recent years include ‘Ako si Ninoy’, ‘Cory ng EDSA’, and ‘Ang Bangkay’.
Interested in bringing ‘Bonifacio: Isang Sarsuwela’ to your school or community? Feel free to contact PSF at 0927-391-3447.
Incoming search terms:
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela summary
- sarsuwela ni bonifacio
- summary of bonifacio isang sarsuwela
- bonifacio sarswela
- bonifacio isang sarswela
- sarswela ni bonifacio
- bonifacio: isang sarswela
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela
- bonifacio isang sarsuwela reaction paper
- bonifacio sarsuwela
September 16, 2012
- ’300: Rise Of An Empire’ Opens At No. 1 in PH with P67M Sales in 4 Days March 10, 2014
- Mike Tan believes ‘Kambal Sirena’ is the better mermaid TV series March 10, 2014
- Swimming Lessons To Get You Ready For Summer 2014 March 10, 2014
- Kim Chiu, Maja Salvador Reconciliation Seen March 8, 2014
- Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 With 239 Passengers ‘Missing’ March 8, 2014
- Gabriel Macht: Who Is He? March 7, 2014
- Hollywood Star Gabriel Macht to visit Ormoc for Project Wonderful March 7, 2014
- Creepy! Max Collins’ Doppelganger Captured In Photos During ‘Innamorata’ Taping February 26, 2014
- Drink Smart Ala-Slater Young February 24, 2014
- ‘Manny: The Movie’ to premiere at SXSW Film Festival in Texas February 23, 2014