[UPDATED]: Iran emerged as the 2013 FIBA Asia Champion after defeating the Philippine team, Gilas Pilipinas, 85-71 at the recently-concluded championship game held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena on Sunday night, August 11.
Considered as one of the most-watched games in the history of FIBA Asia, the championship game was a great fight from first to third quarter until Iran managed to have a 13-point lead over Gilas in the fourth quarter.
Despite failure to win over Iran, the Philippine national men’s basketball team ranked higher winning silver this year from its fourth place finish in 2011. Gilas Pilipinas also secured a ticket for the 2014 FIBA World Championship that will be held in Spain.
Earlier today, South Korea won over Chinese Taipei for the third place after losing to Gilas Pilipinas at yesterday’s historical game, 86-79.
[Posted earlier] Do we have what it takes to win against IRAN, the strongest team this year so far without any record of loss? The Philippine team has one when it was defeated by China earlier in the tournament.
Fresh from yesterday’s emotional win, Coach Chot Reyes and Gilas Pilipinas team members said during last night’s press conference they are ready to fight till the end. They have already broken what spectators say ‘the Korean curse’, and tonight, they will be fighting to end the two-decade Championship drought in FIBA Asia.
They last GOLD we had was in 1986.
Will Gilas Pilipinas emerge 2013 FIBA Asia Champion tonight? Let’s all find out.
The championship game will be aired live on TV5 at 7:30pm tonight, after Talentadong Pinoy.
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
August 10, 2013
Follow Us On Instagram
- Aj Ramos speaks up amidst video scandal October 6, 2014
- The Aj Ramos Scandal: Why Is Everyone Happy About It? October 6, 2014
- Donate Your Broken Phones, Help Build Classrooms in Aklan October 5, 2014
- Edward Benosa to conquer showbiz with original, soulful songs October 5, 2014
- #GEN3NextACT: The Artistically Designed Globe Stores October 5, 2014
- Globe brings back Free Facebook for postpaid, prepaid, TM subscribers October 4, 2014
- Cinemalaya 2014’s award-winning ‘The Janitor’ to open in regular theaters October 8 October 4, 2014
- Hey Joe Show: New Humor Vlog Features Bisaya-Speaking Americans October 3, 2014
- Healthy Is Hot: The Ellen Adarna Banned TVC Hits The Web September 25, 2014
- Bench’ The Naked Truth Postponed September 19, 2014