[UPDATED]: Iran emerged as the 2013 FIBA Asia Champion after defeating the Philippine team, Gilas Pilipinas, 85-71 at the recently-concluded championship game held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena on Sunday night, August 11.
Considered as one of the most-watched games in the history of FIBA Asia, the championship game was a great fight from first to third quarter until Iran managed to have a 13-point lead over Gilas in the fourth quarter.
Despite failure to win over Iran, the Philippine national men’s basketball team ranked higher winning silver this year from its fourth place finish in 2011. Gilas Pilipinas also secured a ticket for the 2014 FIBA World Championship that will be held in Spain.
Earlier today, South Korea won over Chinese Taipei for the third place after losing to Gilas Pilipinas at yesterday’s historical game, 86-79.
[Posted earlier] Do we have what it takes to win against IRAN, the strongest team this year so far without any record of loss? The Philippine team has one when it was defeated by China earlier in the tournament.
Fresh from yesterday’s emotional win, Coach Chot Reyes and Gilas Pilipinas team members said during last night’s press conference they are ready to fight till the end. They have already broken what spectators say ‘the Korean curse’, and tonight, they will be fighting to end the two-decade Championship drought in FIBA Asia.
They last GOLD we had was in 1986.
Will Gilas Pilipinas emerge 2013 FIBA Asia Champion tonight? Let’s all find out.
The championship game will be aired live on TV5 at 7:30pm tonight, after Talentadong Pinoy.
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
August 10, 2013
Follow Us On Instagram
- The Naked Truth: How to score a ticket to the Bench Fashion Show 2014 August 19, 2014
- Dutertes slap Ramon Bautista with a call for ‘Persona Non Grata’ over ‘Hipon’ comment August 17, 2014
- Dennis Trillo challenged to do extreme sports, life-threatening stunts in a new TV series? August 15, 2014
- Win Globe Prepaid Load With Kadayawan 2014 Photo Contest August 15, 2014
- Globe brings products, services to ‘Kadayawan’ August 14, 2014
- Kadayawan Festival 2014 Schedule of Activities August 13, 2014
- Davao’s Kadayawan Festival 2014 Kicks Off August 13, 2014
- Anne Curtis, Cristine Reyes Clash Over Sam Milby In ‘The Gifted’ Movie August 13, 2014
- Robin Williams, 63, Dies In Apparent Suicide August 12, 2014
- Cinemalaya 2014 Winners: Kasal, Bwaya Win Best Films August 10, 2014