Speaking English is not a pre-requisite to winning Miss Universe.
Just like what she answered at the Miss Universe pageant last year, Miss Universe 2012 first runner-up Janine Tugonon reiterated her view and defended Philippines’ bet this year, Ariella Arida from criticisms of her poor command of the English language.
“Honestly, I’m not that good in English but still I managed to clinch the first runner-up title,” explained Janine. “What they care about is what’s in your heart, your personality, and your stand on certain issues. Knowing Ara, I know she has a good heart and so I’m confident with her interviews.”
Janine, who just finished her two-month acting class in the Los Angeles branch of the prestigious New York Film Academy, believes Ara is a very strong contender and may be the one to finally bring back the Miss Universe crown to the country after 40 years. Margarita Moran last won the title in 1973.
“I believe Ara really has the face and the body. I’ve been seeing her pictures and I love them. She trained hard so I know she’ll do good. I can’t say exactly how she will fare in the competition but with Ara’s beauty, which for me is very Filipina, I think she stands a good chance because they love Filipina beauty,” said Janine.
The preliminary round of judging for Miss Universe has already begun. After the closed door preliminary interview, Ariella was recently adjudged wearing her national costume, alongside 85 other candidates, in the National Costume competition held in Vegas Mall.
This year’s Miss Universe will be crowned this Sunday (Nov 10) in Crocus City Hall in Moscow, Russia. The show will be hosted by Thomas Roberts of “MSNBC Live” and Mel B of “America’s Got Talent.”
Watch it live on Velvet Channel at 2am with a delayed telecast on ABS-CBN at 9am and a primetime replay at 10pm. (PR)
Incoming search terms:
- ariela and janine tugonon
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for MacMall.com, one of the top Apple resellers in the US. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as Web Manager of the Philippine Press Institute.
April 13, 2014
April 13, 2014
April 4, 2014
April 4, 2014
- World’s Toughest Job: This Video Will Make You Cry April 16, 2014
- Menarini launches ‘Commit to Control PE’ advocacy for couples April 15, 2014
- To Dine Is To Love: A Return To Mesa-Clark April 13, 2014
- Manny Pacquiao gives Timothy Bradley his first loss April 13, 2014
- Chase the Sun with Wrangler & win an ultimate adventure April 12, 2014
- Marian Rivera’s Carmela Extended For 3 Weeks April 4, 2014
- Anne Curtis Hospitalized Due To Box Jellyfish Attack April 4, 2014
- Gilas Pilipinas vs PBA All Star selection highlights the PBA All Star Week on TV5 and AksyonTV April 4, 2014
- Ellen Adarna Goes Nude for Esquire Magazine April 4, 2014
- Accept Card Payments Thru Your Phone With Globe Charge April 3, 2014