Manila, Philippines – CONSIDERED AS the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines this year, Filipinos should get ready for Super Typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan), which has already entered the Philippine area of responsibility Thursday morning. It is expected to hit the country on Friday, November 8.
The Department of Science and Technology-PAG-ASA (DOST-PAG-ASA) has already issued warning at 3:26am today that moderate to occasional heavy rains will be affecting several Visayas and Mindanao provinces and will stay in the next 2-3 hours.
Yolanda is posing a serious danger to lives and property across the country as it has a maximum sustained winds of 240 kph (150 mph).
Accuweather.com report said the exceptionally dangerous storm has “strengthened into the strongest tropical system in the world for the 2013 season as estimated by wind speed and central pressure.”
Its strength is equivalent to a Category 5 or a strong Category 4 hurricane, reports said. Yolanda will cross over the Philippines till Friday night.
It will hit parts of Central Visayas and most of Luzon and Mindanao, including the greater Metro Manila area. Residents are advised to stay at home in safe, dry areas all day Friday. The typhoon will leave the PAR on Saturday morning on its way to Vietnam.
Click here for the list of areas to be affected by Typhoon Yolanda.
In Photo: Satellite imagery from DOST-Project NOAH as of 2:57 a.m. on Thursday, November 7, 2013.
We’ll try to keep this page updated. Will talk to you guys on Twitter @elysplanet.
Ely Valendez is an award-winning blogger-journalist based in the Philippines. He handles several social media marketing projects for various brands in his home country as well as for a US-based IT/e-commerce company, PCM where he works full time. He uses his spare time doing financial consultancy for a UK-based company. He also sits as member of the Board of Directors of the Philippines Communication Society and serves as a web manager and resource person of the Philippine Press Institute.
August 13, 2014
Follow Us On Instagram
- The Naked Truth: How to score a ticket to the Bench Fashion Show 2014 August 19, 2014
- Dutertes slap Ramon Bautista with a call for ‘Persona Non Grata’ over ‘Hipon’ comment August 17, 2014
- Dennis Trillo challenged to do extreme sports, life-threatening stunts in a new TV series? August 15, 2014
- Win Globe Prepaid Load With Kadayawan 2014 Photo Contest August 15, 2014
- Globe brings products, services to ‘Kadayawan’ August 14, 2014
- Kadayawan Festival 2014 Schedule of Activities August 13, 2014
- Davao’s Kadayawan Festival 2014 Kicks Off August 13, 2014
- Anne Curtis, Cristine Reyes Clash Over Sam Milby In ‘The Gifted’ Movie August 13, 2014
- Robin Williams, 63, Dies In Apparent Suicide August 12, 2014
- Cinemalaya 2014 Winners: Kasal, Bwaya Win Best Films August 10, 2014